Remote/Patron Self-Registration Policy
[Resource Sharing Standards]
Staff shall review records that have been created online within 30 days for accuracy and duplicate records. The record will be considered temporary until verified by staff. Records that have not been verified to meet previously stated registration policy or merged with an existing record within 30 days will be expired.
A verified record must include the library code and initials of who verified it and the date of verification. The records must be reviewed within 30 days of the created date.
Remote/Patron Self-Registration Review Procedures
New Record Alerts: There are 2 ways to be alerted that new registrations have been completed.
- An email notification is sent by Sierra and forwarded by Mid-Hudson staff to a designated staff member of the library. The notices are sent only on weekdays. The notice includes only the name, and barcode (pnumber) of the registrant. A separate notice is sent for each completed registration.
- Create lists can be used to retrieve records to be reviewed in batches.
Searching for new online registrations in Create List:
- In an empty Review File, set store record type as “Patron p”.
- Leave the “Range” index setting in place.
- Use the following search strategy:
- Line 1: Type=Patron, Field=Created, Condition=Between, Value A = the start of your date Range, and Value B= the end of your date range
- Line 2: Type= Patron, Field = Stat Class, Condition= The stat class value assigned in your template*
*The number assigned uses a 0 in place of the asterisk in the terminal number
- Click Search.
Record Review and Necessary Edits
Libraries with online registration will review all patron records created through their form within 30 days to determine that someone is eligible. Staff completely and accurately fills in all required fields and checks Sierra to determine if a record already exists. Staff verifies home library and notifies home library when appropriate. Follow local procedure to issue a 14 – digit barcode.~RS Standards
- Is this your record?
If this patron resides within another libraries service area, edit the home ptype and home library to reflect your best estimate of where the patron resides and send that library an email with identifying information or a screen capture. They will be responsible for this record’s review or pass the record to another library.
- Check for duplicates
- Check to see if a record for this patron already exists using the name, birth date and other information in the new registration. A second sierra session is helpful in this process.
- If a duplicate record exists. Determine which of the records is the more complete and valid version. This will become the Destination record in the merger process. If the records are comparable, the activity on the record can be used to determine the Destination Record. Recent activity will be indicated in the CIRCACTIVE field. The record that is less complete or not recently used will become the Source record in the merge process.Merge Record Instructions.
At this point you will be working with a new Patron.
- Insert and Create the APATID: The Online form cannot produce an APATID (a patron ID) the review process includes creating the APATID.
- Click Insert field and scroll to find the APATID Field.
- Create the APATID as follows:
The APATID is created from the first 4 letters of the Patron’s Last Name (if last name does not have 4 letters insert an “*” for each missing letter), followed by the first letter of their first name and then the single digit of their birth month followed by the two digits to indicate the day of the month. For October use the Letter O, for November use the letter N and For December use the letter D. The APATID IS TYPED IN UPPER CASE. This field is necessary to check for duplicate records.
Example: Smith, John, born 7/04/1976 APATID = SMITJ704
NOTE: To search by APATID, type the letter “u” before the APATID in the search box type “uSMITJ704” , and press enter.
- Review Record Content
- Records should include all required fields according to Resource Sharing standards. The form required fields and template defaults should have produced a complete record, but staff should verify.
- Check for corrections in formatting, Alphabetizing and spelling.
- Update the Created by field
- You will add your libraries 3 letter code and your initials
- Check with your director for your local policy on how this statement is formed.
- Complete the local procedures
- Check with your library administration to review local procedures in place for updating message and note fields.