- Selecting Notice Parameters
In Sierra, Select “Notices” from the “Functions” drop down menu.
- Selecting Notice Parameters
- Click the “New” icon to create new notices.
- Choose the type of notices you would like to pull by selecting your desired type from the “Notice Type” drop down menu.
- In the “Location” pane, your library should be the default selection.
- If you wish to sort the order in which Sierra generates the notices, choose the “Sort By” button. To specify Type or Field element, click on the element and press any key.
- Line – The order in which the entry is applied (e.g. Sierra sorts notices by entry one and then sub-sorts them by entry two). Sierra generates this value to match the entry’s position in the Sort Notices table.
- Type – The record type that contains the field by which Sierra should sort the notices (Bibliographic, Item, or Patron).
- Field – The field by which Sierra should sort the notices (e.g. money owed).
- Append – Creates an entry after any previously specified criteria.
- Insert – Creates an entry at the currently selected line.
- Delete – Deletes the currently selected line.
Sierra displays the list of valid values in that element. Choose the value you want to use by clicking on it. Sierra inserts the value in the selected element. To delete a Sort By entry, click its row and choose delete. To close the Sort Notices table without saving your changes, choose cancel. To save your entries, choose save. Sierra changes the label of the Sort By button to reflect the criteria that you entered. For example: if you choose to sort notices by the item location and call number fields, the Sort By button would appear as the following.
- Sierra will use the “Default” email subject line by default but you can also choose an alternate subject line for emailed notices. To do this choose the “Email Subject” button. This will display the “Default” option as well as alternatives. Select the subject line you like and click OK. This menu is shown below:
- Depending on which notice you have selected, Sierra offers a different set of options in the “Options” part of the window, on the right. These options are listed below. All options are not available for all notice types.
- Amount Owed – Limit the statements of charges you generate by the amount patron records owe your library. Use the Greater Than and Less Than text boxes to specify the desired range.
- Bills less than <amount> will not be sent – Displays the minimum charge required for Sierra to generate a fine notice.
- Change Address – By default, Sierra includes ADDRESS1 field from the patron record on the circulation notices for all P TYPES. You will not need to change this feature. Academic and school libraries use this to mail notices to non campus addresses during recessed periods.
- Include Amount Owed – Include the total amount, if any, that a patron owes the library.
- Include Telephone Number – If you select this option, Sierra includes the patron’s telephone number on the notices that you generate.
- Limit by P TYPE – My default, Sierra generates notices for patron records of all P TYPE(s). To limit the patron records for whom you generate the notices by P TYPE, choose the “Limit By P TYPE” button. In the dialog, select the P TYPE(s) for whom you want to generate the notices. Choose Save or Cancel to retain or discard your changes.
- Limit To – Limit the types of items that can appear in the statements of checked-out items that you generate.
- Overdue Level – Specify which level(s) you want to generate notices for.
- Overdue Status – Specify the overdue items for which you want to generate notices.
- To save your options and parameters for reuse at a later time:
- click the “Save As” icon .
- Select Local Printer and click Print.
- Select your Printer and click Print.
In the text box next to “Job Name” enter a name that you will remember and click OK.