Viewing the holdshelf allows you to get a daily count of the number of items on the holdshelf. You can also use view outstanding holds on a weekly basis to find holds for bibliographic records that no longer have any holdable items, for items that are billed or claimed returned, and for high-demand items whose holds are not filled in a timely manner.
To View Outstanding Holds:
Click on “Outstanding Holds” from the Functions drop down menu.
In the Limit Display To area, indicate the limits you want to place on the list of outstanding holds.
- The date field defaults to today’s date; use that or modify the date.
- If you want to limit the list further, you can enter a patron name in the PATRN NAME text box. You can also choose the PATRN NAME drop-down list and select a different category: Title, CALL#, Barcode, STATUS (of item), Item Location, or Hold Status. In the text box, enter the corresponding search string (title name, callnumber, etc.) by which to limit the list.
- Limit the list by STATUS=ON HOLDSHELF to view your current Holdshelf.
In the Pickup Location area, choose whether to display outstanding holds for the location associated with your login in the Locations Served table (for example, ame), for all locations, or for the location selected in the Select Location drop-down menu.
By default, Sierra selects the radio button for the location associated with your login in the Locations Served table.
Choose “View Outstanding Holds” to generate the list.
Sierra sorts the table by patron name, hold status, then title. You can sort the table by clicking the top of each column. To increase the number of rows that display in the table of holds, you can move the divider between the summary and the table of holds.
If you right-click a cell, Sierra offers you the View Patron, View Item or View Bib, and Print Report options.
- View Patron – retrieves the patron record and displays it in a separate window
- View Item or View Bib – retrieves the item or bib record and displays it in a separate window
- Print Report – prints the holds list. The holds list printout includes all columns, whether visible or hidden onscreen.
A summary of title- and item-level holds appears at the top of the report. Below the summary, the table of holds displays the following information:
- Date Placed – Date the hold was placed
- Note Needed After OR Not Needed Before – Right click on the boxy image following the text in this column header select whether you want the table to display “Not Needed After” or “Not Needed Before”
- Not Needed After -Date after which item or bib is not wanted (if specified)
- Not Needed Before – (toggles with Not Needed After)-Date before which item or bib is not wanted (if specified)
- Patron Info – Patron name, patron number, email address, and phone number
- Title – Title of item or bib
- Call # OR Barcode – Right click on the boxy image following the text in this column header select whether you want the table to display “Call #” or “Barcode”
- CALL# – (toggles with Barcode) Call number of item or bib
- Barcode – Barcode number of item (for item-level holds)
- LOCATION – Item location (for item-level holds)
- Pickup Location – Location where patron will pick up item or bib
- Hold Status OR Status – Right click on the boxy image following the text in this column header select whether you want the table to display “Hold Status” or “STATUS”
- Hold Status – (toggles with Status) Queue status
- STATUS – Item status (for item-level holds)
After the list is generated, use the Print icon (or select Print Report from the right-click menu) to print the list as well as the summary information. If you have sorted the table, the list prints the way you have sorted it. You can change your standard printer to print to your email.
Some useful sorting tips:
- Sort your list by title to group items and see if you have many requests for a single title. You may decide that you do not have enough copies for the demand.
- Toggle to the Hold status to see if there are available Copies.
- Right click to get more item & bib information- Unfortunately, the view you get does not allow you to modify the hold.